Day 2 in the Aztec World

Earlier this morning I woke up with the blinding sunlight as an alarm. Funny how instead of feeling drowsy and going back to sleep again, I felt full of energy and eager to get the day started. So I got out of bed, thinking that something is wrong with me, and went to get ready. That was when I realised that I didn't bring my toothbrush.

I froze, not knowing what to do. As I was panicking, a local went past me, then doubled back. He inspected me from head to toe, then asked me something in a weird-sounding language (it sounded like the croaking of frogs, no offence). He must'd realised that I was a foreigner that doesn't speak his language, but little did he know that I came from the future. He grabbed me by the arm and showed me various parts of the city, some I have seen before during my exploration yesterday, some unfamiliar places that I didn't know could exist (these places were so breath-taking that I nearly forgot about morning breath. Only when I got too close and the little man crinkled his nose did I back away, embarrassed). 


Here are some aspects of the Aztec city, Tenochtitlán, that the little man showed me. They have stunning buildings, pyramids and towers. There are also lots of greenery in the gardens. Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/562316703475453882/

Now, he guides me back to the village to be introduce to the locals (I make a point to keep my mouth shut as much as possible). The children run around me, the elderly examining me carefully, others smiling at me briefly. Everyone of them seem to act like I am some like of mythical creature that have come alive in front of their eyes. I'm just a normal human, guys... 

My stomach starts grumbling as my nose catches a mouth-watering whiff of an unknown food. It comes from a large pot that one of the Aztecs are stirring. He catches me staring and beckons me over to have a look. It's a weird kind of soup. It gurgles and slurps as the man churns it with a huge wooden spatula. Breakfast is soon served. Everyone sit down by the long table to eat their soup. Surprisingly, it tastes amazing! I can taste some tortilla pieces in there, but the rest of the ingredients remains a mystery to me.

After filling myself with the delicious soup, I go on a walk by the lake. According to my map, I am heading east. Beautiful plants and flowers surround the coast, and I wander along, hoping to catch something unusual.

I realise that it is already late in the afternoon, so I walk back to the village that I was in that morning. I surprise myself my not using the map and still finding the right place without taking a wrong turn. As I walk through the crowd, I sensed something unfamiliar about myself, but not exactly sure what it is. I look down at feet, and scare the life out of myself when I saw that I am wearing a pair of sandals that I have never seen before. Then, I realise that my outfit is different as well - am I wearing a weaved skirt...? And the top... It looks like it's made of old curtains!

I look around at my surroundings. Is something wrong with me? What on earth am I doing in these clothes? I must be hallucinating. And all these people around me, are they speaking English? If not, why can I understand every single word they are saying?

I shake my head in confusion as I head for shelter. The rain had start pouring down in buckets, but the others don't seem to mind having a free shower. These people must be mad, I think as I continue to wander along the busy street, which takes me to a large quad. There are people sitting around in pairs and circling a table. I go up to one of the tables and examine the contents over a person's shoulders. Aha! Of course, isn't this patolli? I remember studying this in my history class some years ago. 

Here is an image of the Aztecs playing the game of patolli with each other. People from all different social classes played together, whether you are a high, respected noble or just an ordinary commoner. Patolli is something that everyone can enjoy. Retrieved from https://www.mexicolore.co.uk/aztecs/home/gambling-and-patolli-the-aztecs-favourite-game

As I study the two people playing the game of patolli, I keep alert and listen to what they are saying, since now I understand their language. They don't seem to know each other very well though.

Person A: Ugh. Raining again. So annoying.

Person B: It's not that bad. Rain is good for the crops.

Person A: True, but we get all wet, and I absolutely despise getting wet and soggy.

Person B: I guess you are kind of right. And yes - no one likes getting wet. It's so- 

Person A: Whose turn is it?

Person B: Oh sorry. It's my turn. Hmm... let's see... Wait, I'm nearly there...

Person A: Don't rush. Take your time. We have heaps of time to finish this game tonight.

Person B: Alright. Your turn.

Person A: (examines the game board) Ok... Wow, you're good at this game! You've left me with no choices!

Person B: (smiles) Thanks. It looks like you're winning though. I still have two more counters that are not even on the board yet.

Person A: (chuckles) Yeah, but I also have one counter-

Person B: YES! I GOT A SIX! (laughs sheepishly) Sorry.

Person A: That's alright. I think we can all agree that patolli can really hype us all up.

Person B: Haha yes.

Sudden gusts of wind drive me to seek for shelter again. The wind howls by my ears, cutting me off from the conversation I was eavesdropping on. I shivered bitterly in my thin outfit. What kind of clothes is this...? Ugh.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3 in the Aztec World

Day 1 in the Aztec World